Re: [patch] killed tqueue_lock spinlock

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 16:39:50 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Patrik Rak wrote:

> > Using a bit in the bh->sync will allow SMP to scale very better. And we
>
> Hmm, it was just short-term spinlock, I don't think there is much
> real contention.

Agreed but there could be in the future. This will allow to scale better
in SMP without harming performances I think.

> > Here the latest update:
>
> And what about this (maybe I got the memory barriers wrong, it's just to
> show the idea):

I can't see a big difference. I still like more my version just because I
like to play with the lock with sure atomic operations in task_queue()
while run_task_queue() is spinning on the lock. And theorically some
really nowadays-crazy architecture may want to have 1 byte data at address
-1 (really unlikely to happen I know ;).

Andrea Arcangeli