Re: Anti-Linux SMP FUD

Michael H. Warfield (mhw@wittsend.com)
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 11:00:31 -0500 (EST)

Pat St. Jean enscribed thusly:
> On Mon, 1 Feb 1999, Herbert Wengatz 42850 wrote:
> >you forgot to mention that the "heros" from ZD-Net (well known M$-Zombies)
> >tested NT 4.0 against a Linux Kernel 2.0.35/36 - not against the current
> >2.2.0.- And the test was on a UP system. - How boring! They should
> >test it with an NT-SMP-Box against Linux 2.2.0 - SMP.

> I just had to pipe up on this one... I'm not sure what the timeline on
> that was, but remember that with a traditional magazine you're looking at
> a good month and a half to two month delay in getting articles to print.
> It simply could have been that 2.2.0 wasn't out yet...

ZD-Net's not all bad. They have one up that LinuxWorld refered to as
"Linux wins in a benchmark against NT".

http://www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/issue/0,4537,387506,00.html

Reads like a Linux kicks ass and takes names type article. Pretty
good up there...

I like this paragraph from one of the charts:

] You might think that Linux would operate at a disadvantage here,
] but Linux kicks NT's butt. Only at the lightest loads does NT hold
] any advantage over the Linuxes. Once the load moves to 12 clients,
] all the Linux platforms take commanding leads over NT. At 32
] clients, SuSE, the weakest Linux, has more than double NT's
] throughput, and Red Hat, the leader, extends its lead to almost 250
] percent of NT's performance.

This is all UP stuff though... No SMP involved...

> Pat in Houston

> --
> Patrick St. Jean '97 XLH 883 psj@cgmlarson.com
> Programmer & Systems Administrator +1 713-977-4177 x115
> Larson Software Technology http://www.cgmlarson.com

Mike

--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  mhw@WittsEnd.com