Re: A router bug?

David (david@killerlabs.com)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 14:50:34 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, H.J. Lu wrote:
> My cases are SLIP and T3. Can someone, who is behind a Linux router,
> please try
>
> https://webbroker.waterhouse.com
>
> and tell me what you get? Thanks.

playing with MTU isn't the full answer. here is the solution suggested by AK:

on your router, set the slip interface to an MTU of 576. eth0 can be 1500.
note that i'm testing with my ppp0 set to 576 and gre1 set to 552.

on your LAN machines, eth0 can be 1500 MTU. the catch is:
route del default ...
route add default gw <router> mss 576 ...

add the "mss 576" tag. -that- is what fixed it.

if this doesn't fix it for you, bounce a note back, but i think it will.

it worked for my GRE tunnel, the routing part is the same, it should work
for your slip conx. i can get to the above url. www.bofa.com is the same
way. good luck.

-d

--
  Look, Windows 98  Buy, lemmings, buy!  MCSE, Must Consult Someone Experienced
__ (c) 1998 David Ford.  Redistribution via the Microsoft Network is prohibited