Re: howto disable auto route setup?

Paul Jakma (paul@clubi.ie)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 15:06:29 +0000 (GMT)

On 31 Jan 1999, david parsons wrote:

In article <linux.kernel.199901301813.VAA25130@ms2.inr.ac.ru>,
<kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru> wrote:
>In article <36B33FFF.E6FEB852@Synopsys.COM> you wrote:
>: Paul Jakma wrote:
>: so the kernel claimed to know better. Of course it had no idea about
>: the wished dial on demand configuration and broke the routing with
>: each new autoloaded network interface. Some very ugly workarounds
>: (especially for Linux) became necessary within pppd and ipppd.
>
>Proofs, please 8)
>
>Kernel knows better what interface routes to install by definition
>of interface routes.

Nonsense. If I want the computer to automatically install routes
when I ifconfig an interface up, I'll do it in ifconfig -- it might
be useful to have an option to big brother the kernel for people who
want to tweak their networking, have written their own replacement
for ifconfig, but who don't know enough about networking to add the
proper routes.

the problem is not that there are programmes that don't know
enough about networking. rather there are programmes that *do*
know a lot about networking, and don't know about the new 2.2
feature.

when we change from one behaviour to the other we need a
backwards compatibility period.

eg:

echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/auto_add_route

maybe.

also, what happens if add an interface, but want to have a really
unusual route to it - and the default route that the kernel adds
is one i *really* don't want - even for the small amount of time
between executing ifconfig and route. (i'm thinking of unusual
firewall, tunnels, dial on demand type setups).

this feature only makes adding regular interfaces easier -
something taken care of in scripts anyway. but makes unusual
setups more bothersome.

user knows best i think, and if they don't their redhat
distribution will.

how long did /dev/cua? stay in the kernel?

regards,

--
Paul Jakma		paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/publickey.txt