Re: behavior of less on /proc/ksyms

Arvind Sankar (arvinds@mit.edu)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:04:15 -0500

On Sat, Jan 30, 1999 at 12:20:07PM -0500, Marty Leisner wrote:

> I've been use to doing
>
> cat /proc/ksyms | less
>
> for years...
>
> since less could not read from a device look this
> (I think it needed an option, maybe -f?)
>

> Now I noticed
> less /proc/ksyms
> seems to be working...
>
> Am I imagining things?
>
> What/when changed?

works here, too (less version 332). But I think the problem used to be that
old versions of less did a stat and got the file size a priori.
Since all files in /proc have a file size of 0, this caused problems.

I'm guessing actually, but I remember writing a userfs based thing in
my freshman year, which would do on-the-fly decompression of gzip'ed files.
cat file|less worked, but less file would truncate. That was because I was
returning the compressed size on stat()ing.

-- arvind