Re: howto disable auto route setup?

Harald Dunkel (harri@Synopsys.COM)
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 18:23:11 +0100

Paul Jakma wrote:

> On 29 Jan 1999, Zygo Blaxell wrote:
>
> > In article <Pine.LNX.4.04.9901262200540.24222-100000@jakma.clubi.ie>,
> > Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie> wrote:
> > >Does anyone know how to disable the new 2.1/2.2 /feature/ of
> > >automatically adding route for ifconfig up'd interfaces??
> >
> > Ummm...why?
>
> for backwards compatibility maybe.
>
> because i don't want to have to have different config scripts for
> machines running 2.0 and 2.2.
>
> because i don't have the time at the moment to delve into diald's
> source code, etc..

Metoo. I like to keep control about the routing, but with 2.1.121 or
so the kernel claimed to know better. Of course it had no idea about
the wished dial on demand configuration and broke the routing with
each new autoloaded network interface. Some very ugly workarounds
(especially for Linux) became necessary within pppd and ipppd.

Regards

Harri

--
Harald Dunkel | dunkel@Synopsys.COM | O glücklich, wer noch hoffen kann,
Synopsys GmbH | Kaiserstr. 100      | aus diesem Meer des Irrtums