Re: Network Aliasing Module missing in 2.2.x ?

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:09:42 +0000

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 07:25:43PM -0600, ron flory wrote:

> > > [root@babylon linux-2.2.ac1]# ifdown eth0
> > > [root@babylon linux-2.2.ac1]# ifup eth0
> > > Error
> > > No kernel support for devices aliasing[root@babylon linux-2.2.ac1]#

*boggles* I assume ifup/ifdown are some aliases for calls to ifconfig?
Also, "ifup eth0" isn't configuring any aliases, it's the main adapter.
The alias would be eth0:0 or something.

> > > Both options for network and IP aliasing are enabled. IP aliasing is
> > > enabled as a MODULE.
> > That's your problem. Recompile with IP aliasing built in.

That's pretty clever - enabling IP aliasing as a module isn't an option on
my kernel (2.2.0).

> My problem is that I'm too used to the 2.0 setup. Both aliasing
> settings are enabled in 2.2, yet we get the kernel error upon activating
> net aliases...

Did you read Documentation/Changes and upgrade everything appropriate?

Cheers,
Steve

--
Fortune: You will be attacked next Wednesday at 3:15 p.m. by six samuri
sword wielding purple fish glued to Harley-Davidson motorcycles.