Re: Strange interrupt behavior in 2.2.0(and pre)

Dag Brattli (dagb@cs.uit.no)
27 Jan 1999 10:00:14 +0000

alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) writes:

> > One other problem is that the esound daemon (esd) gives so many interrupts
> > (about 300/s) that using the serial driver is impossible. Just gets a lot
> > of fifo rx overruns. Making ppp connect is just impossible, but when I kill
> > esd, ppp works just fine again (same for irda drivers).
>
> Thats a lot of audio interrupts - more than I'd expect. What soundcard
> are you using. The only one that might load a machine a lot is the Cyrix
> MediaGX - and that didnt seem too bad

Well, here are some results from my 166 Mhz Pentium MMX Toshiba laptop with
a Crystal 4232 card.

5: 1 XT-PIC Crystal audio controller

Starting esd (esound-0.2.7-1), and waiting for 60 secs:

5: 32096 XT-PIC Crystal audio controller

Which looks like 530 interrupts/s

I also have a 200 Mhz Pentium MMX with a soundblaster card that gives 590
interrupts/s when running esd. Can it be sampling something at a very high
speed? I was however not playing (or recording) anything while these test
were done. The system feels about 4 times faster when I kill esd.

-- Dag