Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3266

Horvath Karoly (rh@hold.sch.bme.hu)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 11:10:34 +0100

On Tue, Jan 26, 1999 at 10:44:42PM -0500, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> In message <m105JN9-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu>you write:
> >> Turtle Beach WaveFront Driver
> >> Copyright (C) by Hannu Solvainen, Paul Barton-Davis 1993-1998.
> >> WaveFront: autodetected IRQ 15 not the value provided (9)
> >> WaveFront: hardware reset failed
> >>
> >> WaveFront: firmware download failed!!!
> >> Trying to free free IRQ9
> >> WaveFront: initialization failed.
> >
> >Ok well that card definiely seems to think it isnt where you believe.
> >
> >> other is controlled by the CS4232 chip present on the board. However,
> >> physical access to the CS4232 connector is difficult, and it is
> >> unlikely (though not impossible) that you will want to use it."
> >>
> >> But as I said before I have a CS4231 chip on my board...
> >
> >Basically the same IC
>
> And more importantly, supports PnP. My best guess at this point is
> that your BIOS might be configuring the card. All the configuration of
> the Tropez is really done by the cs4232 module, except that if it
> finds the device already configured, it doesn't do anything. So, if
> the BIOS sticks its head in the door and sets up the Tropez, the
> cs4232 module won't do anything, and regardless of what you have in
> conf.modules, the card is going to end up configured the way the BIOS
> wants it to be (e.g. IRQ 15, not IRQ 9).
>
> On my new machine, I disabled BIOS PnP support for precisely this
> reason. I don't want to have to use the BIOS for device
> configuration. I run Linux, not the Award WinBIOS, and I want to do my
> configuration from Linux.

1. I disabled BIOS PnP
2. The card works under dos with the old settings
3. Mad16 works with the settings
io=0x530 irq=11 dma=0
4. CS4232 still doesn't work

# modprobe cs4232 synthirq=9 synthio=0x290 io=0x530 irq=11 dma=0 dma2=1
/lib/modules/2.2.0/misc/cs4232.o: init_module: Device or resource busy

I'm sure it ISN'T a PnP card. The BIOS doesn't detect it and pnpdump
says '# No boards found'.

--
 [:)]  Horvath Karoly Zoltan  /  Technical University of Budapest