Re: Versioning

Marcin Dalecki (dalecki@cs.net.pl)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:30:45 +0100

Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

> Is it just me, or do strange things happen when you compile the kernel
> without versioning information? I compiled my kernel and my modules
> without the versioning information, and none of my modules would load!
> Very strange indeed. It might just be me, though.

Most propably you will need to recompile all modules then first too.
BTW> I *NEVER* use the versioning system. This is just adding
additional complexity to the whole module stuff without really any need
for it.
Yes versioning is a broken design which will however most of the time
work, since it doesn't give you anything and therefore there isn't
anything
for it to really break. However don't expect it to really solve the
upgrade problem. It will just hide the problems more deeply.

--Martin