Re: ESS688: no go in pre(89)

Dan Glover (kernel@dangl.demon.co.uk)
26 Jan 1999 23:55:03 -0000

Jeff Rose wrote:

> >From: Dan Glover <kernel@dangl.demon.co.uk>
> >Date: 25 Jan 1999 23:19:31 -0000
> >Subject: ESS688: no go in pre[89]

> >The major changes to sound for ESS chips made in 2.2.0-pre8 (why
> >couldn't it wait for 2.3.x?) mean that my old ESS688 no longer
> >initialises properly. [...]

> I posted a newbie possible kernel or kernel config error
> where I was getting:

> Sound: DMA (output) timed out - IRQ/DRQ config error?

> ...with the same config as 2.0.36 (which sound is PERFECT).
> I haven't narrowed down the problem other than _not_ selecting
> plug-n-play and/or trying to fire up sndconfig in RH 5.2 to get
> my ducks in order _before_ I post! Yes, I have a ESS1688
> also...

OK, well while I was getting together all the details to post a bug
report I discovered that the DMA setting in /etc/conf.modules was wrong.
How embarassing... I don't know why it used to work, but I'm not
particularly planning to investigate further.

Note that mine is the ESS688, good old-fashioned jumper settings, not
1688, so your problem is probably entirely different.

Dan