Re: ** Fork 1, Draft Final-6 **

Chris Ricker (kaboom@gatech.edu)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:54:29 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Kyle R. Rose wrote:

> Okay, here's the latest draft. There are some substantial revisions
> regarding the UNIX problem, which I think Albert Cahalan has solved for
> us. I also trimmed the URLs quite a bit, so I'm sorry if I took out
> something you might consider important, but it had to be done. (The
> survey results were QUITE clear on that point.)

I'd change it back to the full Microsoft quote. Ellipses in a quote from a
competitor that makes you sound good are always suspicious.

Besides, it's a quote. Trademark violation issues shouldn't apply.

> * Compatibility with Windows NT and BSD filesystems enables Linux 2.2 to
> seamlessly handle data from legacy systems. With SAMBA, a Linux system
> can transparently replace all NT Server functions, including file- and
> print-sharing and domain authentication.

Change SAMBA to Samba. Also, I liked it better with NT instead of Windows
NT, so you could attribute the TM to Northern Telecom.

> Linux 2.2 is available for free download via the Internet. For a list of
> the "mirror servers" established in anticipation of the massive demand for
> this new release, visit the Linux Kernel Archive (http://www.kernel.org/).
> As always, the Linux kernel is distributed as Free Software under the terms
> of the GNU General Public License (http://www.fsf.org/copyleft/gpl.html).

Loose the sentence about where to get it.

> Linux distribution vendors are expected to ship fully-integrated systems
> using the new kernel before Q2 1999. Business users should look to their
> distribution vendors for information about this important upgrade.
>
> ABOUT LINUX
>
> "Linux" is the common name for a class of secure network operating systems

I'd loose the "class of". It's confusing to idiots, and that's who press
releases are for....

> based on the Linux kernel and other open source software including the Free
> Software Foundation's GNU Project, the Apache web server, Samba, the X
> Window System, and portions of BSD. Linux takes full advantage of modern,
> high-end x86, Power Mac, Alpha, and UltraSPARC hardware. It can also

This needs changing to something like " high-end Intel, Apple, Digital
Alpha, and Sun UltraSPARC hardware". People don't know what x86 or IA32
stand for.

> Microsoft employees Josh Cohen and Vinod Valloppillil, in a competitive
> examination of Linux (The so-called "Halloween Document",
> http://www.opensource.org/halloween.html), wrote that "Linux. . .is trusted
> on mission critical applications, and - due to its open source code - has a
> long term credibility which exceeds many other competitive operating
> systems."

The best-of-breed part was the best part of the quote. If you have to use
ellipses, just omit the UNIX. Best-of-breed can be a noun as well as an
adjective.

later,
chris

--