Re: Rescan IDE interfaces

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:00:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 28 Sep 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:

>> Reason? Because I'm in the habit of hot swapping ide drives and cdroms,
>> and I would like to be able to tell the kernel to look for the new drive,
>> so I can use it without rebooting.
>>
>> Can I do this, and if so, how?
>
>There is "NO-CODE", that I know of in the IDE-Driver that can even attempt
>this to date. However, I am game if you want to test-crash your system.

Just for the record (I know this is a reply to an old posting,
but...) I've hotswapped a few IDE drives and have had no problems
at all. a call to hdparm to spin the drive down, then unplugged
it and it worked fine.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net