Re: Drunken mumblings [OFFTROPIC]

Alain Williams (addw@phcomp.co.uk)
Sat, 2 Jan 1999 22:55:46 +0000

On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 11:56:47AM -0500, Nat Lanza wrote:
> Alain Williams <addw@phcomp.co.uk> writes:
>
> > This already exists -- it is called an NFS[*] server.
>
> Gosh, really? "NFS", you say? I've never heard of it!
>
> Yes, OF COURSE the people discussing this know of the existence of
> standard networked filesystems. In fact, if you'd bothered to read the
No, I was replying to the comment that ``we wanted a more intelligent
disk, ... '' -- if you had bothered to read the quotes before replying:

+ it. To do this sort of thing well, you'd want a far more intelligent
+ disk that knew about its own filesystem and expected to see requests
+ from more than one machine. With normal disks, you're taking a fairly

--
Alain Williams