Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #3068

robin 'xer.xes' putters (xer.xes@nl.scene.org)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 17:22:32 +0100

owner-linux-kernel-digest@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:

> From: Spirilis <hannibal@bitsmart.com>
> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:07:04 -0500
> Subject: Changing HZ in asm/param.h
>
> Hi,
> After reading a recent Slashdot.org post thread on the HZ #define, (just
> see the whole thread on 2.2.0pre1) I tried out changing HZ from 100 to 500.
> First question is, should I be able to do this cleanly at all? I noticed many
> processes became more responsive (X was blazing fast), except the nasty side
> effect is that any program using the synth (AWE32 or OPL3) sounded like it
> was playing it 5 times faster. Recompiling playmidi didn't seem to help, either.
> Could somebody give us a quick discussion on HZ and Linux scheduling?
> (or a page dedicated to it? :)
>
> TIA
>
> - --
> Spirilis
> hannibal@bitsmart.com

I tried it a long time ago, and up till now, i've been constantly
running 2.1.xx kernels with HZ = 1024... The only thing i noticed that
went wrong was top.. top reported all programs 99.9%...
However, i think defining HZ = 1024 is the right thing to do, so timing
(synching) games etc becomes a lot easier...

---
robin 'xer.xes' putters