Re: Intel Makefile Suggestion

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:25:59 -0600

On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 08:49:52AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> Why not simply define a CFLAGS environment variable on your system before
> building the kernel? You could set it to whatever options you like, and
> make should pick this up, shouldn't it?
>
> Or, use 'make CFLAGS=whatever zImage' to override the defaults in the makefile.

I've done that a few times before, but then I always forget to
set the CFLAGS each time I build the kernel (or do the modules,
etc.). I really don't mind tweaking the Makefiles for builds,
but it just doesn't seem beneficial to keep -m486 around when
I don't think it's helping anyone at all (for Pentium or Pentium
Pro), but it might be hurting a large number of those with
recent compilers.

Just a defaults thing, really.

--
Shaw Terwilliger