Re: Samsung VG34323A UDMA problems - 2.2.0pre1

Charles Cazabon (charlesc-linux@qcc.sk.ca)
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 09:20:28 -0600

Brian Ryner <bryner@uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I've had close to zero luck getting my Samsung VG34323A drive to work in
> ultra DMA mode. The kernel reports checksum errors and halts during
[...]
> is causing the problem. If I remember correctly I had to disable it in
> Win95 also.
[...]
> motherboard is FIC VA-503+ (Award BIOS), Pentium MMX 233, onboard IDE
> controller.
>
> there is a Samsung 32x cdrom on the same ide cable, between the
> controller and the drive.

Number one cause of checksum errors in UDMA mode is running the IDE at
a clock rate higher than spec -- i.e., using a front side bus speed of 75 or
83 MHz instead of the spec'ed 66. Is your system overclocked?

Nextmost likely is poor quality IDE cable, or too-long cable. UDMA specs a
shorter maximum cable length than plain old vanilla IDE. I can't remember
the maximum allowed length off the top of my head, but in the shops I've
worked at, we tried to limit IDE cable runs to 18 inches for UDMA drives.

If this isn't the case, I would suggest moving the Samsung CD-ROM to the other
IDE channel and see if the problems continue when the disc is alone on its
cable. Moving the drive to the first (middle) connector on the cable may help
as well.

Charles Cazabon