Re: problems with pcmcia/lilo

Riley Williams (rhw@bigfoot.com)
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 13:20:36 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Erez.

> I have installed RH5.2 on my laptop (toshiba 4010CDT) and
> everything was well.

I have a Toshiba T2110 with RH5.2 installed and running fine...

> then I decided i want to compile APM into the kernel.

> I've download kernel 2.1.131 (also tryed 2.1.132 and 2.1.132ac2)
> configured, compiled installed, and booted. all went well

I've heard lots of reports re problems with APM and, as a result,
don't have that installed...

> than I compiled and installed pcmcia-cs-3.0.6 after booting, linux
> did not respond to the keyboard (including alt-ctrl-del and
> alt-sysreq-* )

> so I decided to use the pcmcia modules which came with RH5.2 so I
> downloaded 2.0.36, compiled installed and booted. i got somthing
> like:

> LILO: linux-36
> <computer rebooted>

> I tryed to disable APM in the kernel, but same situation.

> if i put vga=ask on lilo boot, the computer rebooted after it asked
> for a vga mode, and was answerd

> any ideas ?

> btw:I searched for a solution for my problen in the mailing-list
> archives but did not find one, so I'm posting it here

In my case, I need PCMCIA to get online, but I just did a network
install of RH5.2 and it set everything up for me. PCMCIA in regular
use, RH5.2 works fine under kernel-2.0.36-1.i386.rpm and no problems
that I've found so far...

Best wishes from Riley.