Re: "Socket destroy delayed" -- is this right?

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 11:15:21 +0100

In muc.lists.linux-kernel, you wrote:
>"Socket destroy delayed" appears if I ping an IP that doesn't respond on
>the localnet and then hit ^C here. If I ping some other IP that goes
>through the default gateway, I don't get any message.
>
>[sroot@red:/root]# ping 192.168.9.123
>PING 192.168.9.123 (192.168.9.123): 56 data bytes
>
>--- 192.168.9.123 ping statistics ---
>1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=128)
>[sroot@red:/root]# ping 10.20.30.40
>PING 10.20.30.40 (10.20.30.40): 56 data bytes
>
>--- 10.20.30.40 ping statistics ---
>1 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss
>[sroot@red:/root]#
>
>Is this a good thing?

In this case it is completely ok. The packets are still in the device queue
(because they are not resolved yet by ARP) and the socket is closed by
quitting the application. Because the packets are still owned by the socket
the socket destroy is delayed until the arp request times out and the packets
are removed.

-Andi