Re: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 12:16:09 -0500

Clifford Wolf wrote:

> I don't know a better name - but IMHO /dev/one would be a bad name.

I don't thinks so.... in the same way /dev/zero could mean a 8-bit or 16-bit 0.
(Think about it). Both devices deal in bits not bytes.

> BTW: I think a good crypto filesystem is allways better than secure
> deletion, becouse with a crypto filesystem (i.e. crypto-loopback) you
> don't need to 'destroy' the data to make it useless for someone else.

Ahh, but a court order can't compel eraticated magnetic signals.
It can (try to) compel a passphrase. (Not to mention the former IS crack proof)

--
http://www.linkscape.net/       Linkscape Internet Services   732-541-4214
http://www.linuxrouter.org/     Linux Router Project

At 19981216.11:59 Zulu, Mach 1 was broken with a 1.0080162GHz Dual CPU machine. I'm the Degenerate Overclocker that did it. http://www.psychosis.com/doa/