Re: Good news for SPARC/Linux

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:48:55 +1100

Larry McVoy writes:
> : At the risk of triggering an emotional response in L.McVoy, I'll point
> : out that we've been though this already. Sun has been working behind
> : the scenes to help the development of UltraPenguin. They provided
> : access to hardware and information.
> :
> : I agree that the message was a little ambiguous: it wasn't clear
> : whether their support was "new" (i.e. supporting future developments
> : in UltraPenguin) or "existing" (i.e. supported the original work in
> : UltraPenguin). From various responses, I gather their support was
> : "existing" and is ongoing.
>
> No emotional response, just an observation that Mr Gooch's comments
> are based on publicly available information posted on this list. As
> such, he has no idea of who/what/why is going inside of Sun with
> respect to Linux. So his postings, on this topic at least, (a) add
> absolutely nothing to what has already been discussed here, and (b)
> leave people with the false impression that he actually knows
> something about this topic. I'm at a loss as to why he constantly
> feels compelled to answer questions when he doesn't have the answer,
> but, hey, it's a free country, er, mailing list.

This is an amusing response. Let's assume that you're right and I'm
absolutely clueless about what has been going on with Sun and
Linux. Even so, that doesn't warrant your reaction. If you feel I have
nothing to contribute, fine.

Ignore me. That's your right. It was even your right to killfile me,
although that was an astonishingly childish thing to do. Face it:
normal people killfile people who are persistently abusive and grossly
breach netiquette. It is more than stretching it to say I've behaved
like that. If it really is the case that I'm the first person you've
killfiled for 8 years, I only see one of two possibilites:
- I have been such an annoying pest on this thread
- you have a personal grudge/vendetta against me.

I consider the former unlikely (after all, I made very few posts, did
not breach netiquette and I've had no negative comments from anyone
else). I consider the latter likely, given your appalling behaviour a
few months ago in the RT scheduler thread. You had to be dragged
kicking and screaming to even grudgingly admit that perhaps maybe you
shouldn't have been abusive. You never apologised for consistently
flaming my measurements and calling my benchmark flawed, even though
my analysis clearly showed that my benchmark was not flawed and
furthermore that your benchmark showed the same flaw ("flaw" being
high variance).

So you publically humiliated yourself, and now you take whatever slim
opportunity presents itself to harass me again. I first tried to brush
it off, as I don't wish a confrontation. But no, you have to keep at
it, so I tried to explain to you what my (good, even if they were
misdirected) intentions were. My reward is more ranting from you and
then you killfile me. And all this because I esentially repeated what
someone else had said because a question was being asked again.
This looks pretty much like an emotional response to me.

Larry, I'll make this point once. Whatever you may think, I don't
enjoy confrontation. I generally seek to avoid it, as it's pretty
counter-productive and pointless. However, I don't run away either. If
I'm abused I'll stand up for my rights. I'm also patient and
persistent, so that makes it difficult for people who would just like
to steamroller me.

I'll offer an olive branch here: I am quite happy to put our
differences aside. If you stop taking pot shots at me, I'm sure we can
deal with each other in harmony.

Finally, I don't "constantly answer questions to which I don't have
the answer". Most of the time I lurk on this list. When I do say
something, it's generally something about which I have an interest
in/experience with, and always with the intention of trying to be
helpful. In this case, I was reiterating something because I felt a
point may have been misinterpreted. At worst my posts were
pointless. I was not being a "jerk" as you put it. Killfiling me is a
pretty weird response, but if that's the only way you can deal with
it, go ahead. I just see that as being unfortunate.

Regards,

Richard....