Re: NO ROM BASIC

Kenneth D'Ambrosio (kend@cisco.com)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:37:29 -0500 (EST)

That's not a kernel issue -- that's what a non-IBM(tm) machine says when
it can't find a boot device. In other words, your hard drive is, somehow,
not communicating with the system. Watch your power-up stuff, and you'll
most likely see that the hard drive isn't being mentioned. Check your
cables, make sure the BIOS is configured properly, make sure your ID
jumpers are correct, and, lastly, listen to see if the drive itself is
spinning up -- it may have died. NOTE: this is a HARDWARE issue; merely
blowing away your MBR wouldn't give you this error; then you'd get a
"Can't find OS" or some such error.

Ken D'Ambrosio
SysAdmin,
Cisco Systems, Inc.
kend@cisco.com

P.S. A True Blue IBM machine actually *would* load up basica, which is
stored (or, at least, used to be) in ROM. Pretty damn useless, but fun.
Also true for Compaq, when they used to license the IBM BIOS.