Re: [offtopic] Re: IDE freeze for seconds

Drago Goricanec (drago@king.otsd.ts.fujitsu.co.jp)
Fri, 04 Dec 1998 11:41:52 +0900

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 00:53:53 +0100 (CET), MOLNAR Ingo writes:

> > > i know i really shouldn't...
> > > why would it kill all life?
> >
> > What is the first thing that ceases when you spin down a planet? That's
> > right, gravity. Everything not tied down would just fly out into space,
> > and that includes the atmosphere. Simple.
>
> uhm, fortunately not. but it would be a boring, half year-long day and
> night. one common timezone on the other hand. the Earth doesnt have a
> constant spin period, it was some 5 times faster when life begun. (lets
> just ignore what the Bible says for a moment) the planet will eventually
> spin down in a few billion (1e9) years (due to friction with interstellar
> matter and electromagnetic interaction with the field of the Sun), it will
> be like the Moon, turning with one face towards the Sun always. that will
> be even more boring and rather hot.

Coincidentally, the Discovery Channel had this to say last night.
The earth loses 1/1000 second per day. So the planet is in fact
spinning down. I could use a couple of extra hours a day...

> lets just stop this thread now instead ...

Agreed.

> -- mingo

Drago