Re: not a desktop OS

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 15:39:52 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Phil Blecker wrote:

>I'm also using 2.1.130, for a couple days now. I only have 64MB memory,
^^^^ ;)
>128MB swap. As of this moment:
> total used free shared buffers cached
>Mem: 63248 40928 22320 15500 6576 18272
>-/+ buffers/cache: 16080 47168
>Swap: 130748 94372 36376
>
>This does not seem reasonable to me. I would like to use the little RAM
^^^^^^ ;)
>that I have, not the disk drive. Because all I'm doing right now is typing
>this, what is shown above is pretty stable. As soon as I start compiling
>something, it'll change, of course.

Some people said me that arca-39 doesn' t help, but I am not suffering
this problem at all...

Right now I am browsing two intel pdf manual + netscape running +
gnome-panel + X + find /usr/src/linux/ -type f -exec grep -l asd {} \; +
pine open on Linux kernel + cp /dev/zero /tmp/prova, and there isn' t any
kind of strange swap here:

andrea@dragon:~/devel/gnome/gnome-core$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 63564 62104 1460 20452 3352 17252