Re: GUS sound / SMP problem

Nathan Hand (nathanh@wookie.chirp.com.au)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 09:24:33 +1100 (EST)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, [ISO-8859-1] C. Jaspâh Spaans wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Walter Brisken wrote:
>
> > I am getting strange behaviour with my GUS when running under a 2.1.12x
> > kernel but only when compiled for SMP.
>
> The same problem here, when compiled for UP. Haven't bothered trying SMP.
>
> Hardware: AMD 5x86-WB 133, 48 MB RAM, Gravis Ultrasound Classic 3.7

2nd confirmation here. GUS Classic 3.4 (from memory) on 2.1.129-ac2. I
have had this problem for a while though (since at least 2.1.117).

The "noise" only occurs in stereo mode. If you use mono sound (ie with
the -m option in mpg123) then the noise doesn't occur. I've seen it in
other applications (amp) with the same "fix" of forcing mono output to
be just as successful.

The problem does not occur when using the alsa drivers suggesting that
it truly is a bug in the oss lite drivers, not a common bug in Linux's
DMA or IRQ handling. My (clumsy) investigations suggested that there's
a problem with the GUS register-fiddling code (bad DMA count?).

It suspiciously sounds like the noise you get when you swap byte order
in 16bit audio streams. This may indicate an off by 1 error somewhere.

The problem with tracking down this bug is that it is intermittent. It
starts without warning, and sometimes goes away without warning.