Re: kerneli blowfish/twofish compromised?

Oliver Xymoron (oxymoron@waste.org)
Thu, 26 Nov 1998 09:39:11 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, David Luyer wrote:

> > Hell, we should just do this. We need a patch to postal gateway which
> > delivers to the nearest free soil and some volunteers to do OCR and some
> > filing of received mail to show that transfers are legit. Tools to
> > make OCR of source code relatively easy already exist, such as those used
> > by the international PGP group.
>
> Is it legal to export the source code on paper in a non-text format?
> eg: text with barcode down the side, barcode is what you actually read?

Hmmm, maybe. Barcodes aren't the way to go of course. Blocks of itty-bitty
little left and right slashes in two-dimensional fields pack a lot more
information density.

> Also, how about writing a sed filter for C->English and for the generated
> English->C? Surely if source code is run through this filter is is then
> exportable, as it is now a description rather than a program.
>
> eg: s/^ *# *define ([^ ]*) (.*)$/define "\1" to be \2/
> s/&&/is logically anded with/g
> (being verbose enough to make it easy to guarantee no problems re-encoding)

What we really need is patchfile<->English which is a little messier,
since you have to get the context exactly right.

> Fourthly, is it legal to display cryptography source code on TV (some small
> community TV station near the border - maybe UofTexas@ElPaso have one which
> could be used in the early hours of the morning?)?

I suspect not, and that's not a particularly good medium for
computer-readability.

> > And then someone has to write an RFC for SMTP encapsulated in air-mail.
>
> I thought this was a simple extension and modernisation of RFC 1149? :-)

I'm glad everyone got that reference.