Re: differences in between 2.0 and 2.1 SMP?

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 07:54:25 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, root wrote:

> What are the architectural differences between SMP code in 2.0 and 2.1?
> I'm a very beginner kernel hacker and I'm still in the code grepping
> stage...
> it seems to me that only one of the CPUs can execute the kernel code...
> is that correct?

You hit the nail on the head. In 2.0 only one CPU can
execute in kernel mode while in 2.1 the locks are more
finer grained so you can have multiple CPUs in the
kernel (as long as they don't mess with the same stuff).

regards,

Rik -- slowly getting used to dvorak kbd layout...