Re: Linux-2.1.129..

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:39:11 +1100

Eric van Dijken writes:

> > > the vga=ask prompt takes hex numbers. vga=0x303 might work (hav'nt
> tried),
> > > if it does'nt use 771...
> >
> > Uy, I was asleep friday... Yes, I did put append="vga=771" in lilo.
> > The strange thing is that if I manually boot with vga=771, voila', it
> > works, and otherwise it does not work. Amazing.
> >
> Don't put it in your append line, just add it like the append line:
>
> image=/vmlinuz
> label=linux-fb
> root=/dev/sda1
> vga=771
> append="video=vesa:ypan"

Well, every time I've tried this it doesn't work. I have a Diamond
Stealth S3968 card.

I have the following in my /etc/lilo.conf:
append = "video=vesa"
vga = 769

and from my .config:
CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_MDA_CONSOLE is not set
CONFIG_FB=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FB_VESA=y
CONFIG_VIDEO_SELECT=y
# CONFIG_FB_MATROX is not set
# CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
# CONFIG_FBCON_ADVANCED is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB8=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB16=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB24=y
CONFIG_FBCON_CFB32=y
# CONFIG_FBCON_FONTWIDTH8_ONLY is not set
CONFIG_FBCON_FONTS=y
CONFIG_FONT_8x8=y
# CONFIG_FONT_8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN8x16 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_SUN12x22 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_6x11 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_PEARL_8x8 is not set
# CONFIG_FONT_ACORN_8x8 is not set

I put a debugging printk in vesafb_init() to verify it is called, but
no vesafb device is configured. From the kernel:
HACK: started vesafb_init()
Serial driver version 4.26 with SHARE_IRQ enabled
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
Real Time Clock Driver v1.09

So is this a configuration problem?