Re: PCI Modem Support

Vladimir Dergachev (vladimid@red.seas.upenn.edu)
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 13:29:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998, Martin Mares wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I noticed at the last computer show in my local area that PCI modem are
> > becoming very numerous. They actually outnumbered the ISA modems at the
> > show. Is anybody working on writing a Linux driver for these modems? If
> > not I may want to give it a shot. Given PCI's solving of the IRQ limitation
> > (as well as probably the 4 COM port limit) on the PC I could definately put
> > these PCI modems to good use, besides I will need it if Intel is successful
> > in killing ISA (and the COM ports) this year. On another note somebody told
> > me that all PCI modems were WinModems. Does anybody know if this is true?
> > I doubt it, but the possibility is there.
> >
> > - A. Barbachan

Writing a driver for WinModems can be an interesting exercise in itself.
This would require (probably) some mathematics and some knowledge of how
to do dsp processing. The question is whether the corresponding literature
is available.

I don't have any of these cards but would be glad to help once the
development begins. I think getting a used one should not be too
expensive.

Vladimir Dergachev