Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
23 Oct 1998 10:40:07 +0200

In article <cistron.199810230449.AAA23215@jupiter.cs.uml.edu>,
Albert D. Cahalan <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> wrote:
>So we are stuck with 100 until the end of time? That just sucks.
>
>(not a power of 2, larger than a millisecond, can't use the other
>clock chip for it, system not as responsive, etc. etc.)
>
>If we are not stuck forever, how do you suggest we write software
>such that executables work correctly with HZ==1024?

You cun run the kernel @ 1000 Hz, while presenting 100 Hz to the
user. For a (probably not entirely complete but working) [1] patch
for 2.0.x see

ftp://ftp.cistron.nl/pub/people/miquels/kernel/linux-2.0.34-1000hz.dif

[1] I'm not quite sure I got the RTC stuff right

Mike.

--
  "Did I ever tell you about the illusion of free will?"
    -- Sheriff Lucas Buck, ultimate BOFH.