Re: oops tracing

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 20:24:53 -0400

On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:44:45 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> guest@manjak.knm.org.pl said:
>> I've got on simple question. What the underlined value means:
>> kernel: EIP: 0010:[oops:_oops+16/3868]
>> ^^^^^^^
>> I mean those two numbers ? Are they some sort of offsets or something
>> ?
>
> It shows how far through the routine the oops happened.
>
> In this case, the size of the "_oops" routine appears to be 0x3868 bytes, and
> the oops occurred 0x16 bytes into the routine.

Small correction: those numbers, as produced by klogd, are decimal, not hex.
It's too bad that we have this inconsistency, klogd should probably be modified
to print hex numbers. I know it made we waste quite a bit of time trying to
match them with objdump's hex addresses (of System.map) until I realized they
were decimal.

Ion

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.