Re: [patch] jiffies wraparound [Re: 2.1.125 Show stopper list: Draft]

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 18:34:57 -0700

Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 14:50:25 -0500
From: Mitchell Blank Jr <mitch@execpc.com>

Andi Kleen wrote:
> There is only one problem with it: glibc doesn't know about it and returns
> the wrong value to posix conformant programs trying to get it with sysconf().
> Solution: add a readonly sysctl for HZ.

If you're going to do this *please* do PAGE_SIZE at the same time. It suffers
from the same problem on architectures where that's variable (m68k being
the only one I know of - 8K for sun3, 4K for other things) Right now you
need two libc's to solve this problem.

Then explain how one 32-bit glibc handles both 4k and 8k page sizes on
sparc64 systems. The get_pagesize() system call makes this work.

I do agree however that all of these sort of items should be unified
into one sysconf() interface. We were just lucky on Sparc and
inherited the system call from SunOS etc.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com