[Moving Off-Topic] Re: Summary (was Re: Breaking the 64MB barrier)

B. James Phillippe (bryan@terran.org)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 11:53:36 -0700 (PDT)

On 17 Oct 1998, Achim Oppelt wrote:

> "B. James Phillippe" <bryan@terran.org> writes:
>
> > > Yeah. Opening the case to add/remove SIMMs is very easy, compared to a
> > > "vi /etc/lilo.conf; /sbin/lilo". :-)
> >
> > Actually, I hope you're not being sarcastic. The company I work for is
> > similar to Corel and Cobaltmicro in that we too sell an "appliance"-like
>
> Well, I was being sarcastic, thinking of the "normal" Linux user. Of
> course, for special applications such as yours, I can see why automatic
> memory detection is useful - I just didn't think of these cases when I
> replied. My apologies.

Not a problem! Most people who responded did not consider what reasons a
person might have for proper automatic memory detection; I suppose I should
have given more details originally. However, the information you and Alan
provided is quite good and will help very much. Thanks.

> > (FYI, the product is an Internet firewall called the WatchGuard Firebox
> > [http://www.watchguard.com FMI]) so we are faced with much of the
>
> I've just had a look at it. Looks pretty cool. But why does a firewall
> need more than 64MB RAM? :-) And it's too bad the whole software is
> apparently not GPLed. :-( In fact, it isn't mentioned anywhere on the web
> site that the device is Linux based. But I guess that's a marketing
> decision. Although it would certainly be interesting to see what kind of
> modifications you made to the kernel to make it more secure.

The memory requirement is primarily for the extra features we have over the
straight filtering. Plus, the unit runs off a small flash chip so there is
no fixed disk, which means there is no swap. As for the open endoresment
of Linux on the web site (or lack thereof), I urge anyone who visits the
site to send their positive inquiries regarding Linux to
compinfo@watchguard.com.

cheers,
-bp

--