Re: Linux vs Microsoft

Greg Mildenhall (greg@networx.net.au)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 12:00:03 +0800 (WST)

On 15 Oct 1998, david parsons wrote:
> Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> >With due respect, Mr. Towers...if Microsoft could crush us, it would
> >already have done so. It is now several months too late for them to
> >succeed.
> >Their window began to close when the first of the enterprise database
> >announcements hit the streets. With Oracle's announcement of a
> >bundled, supported, Oracle-over-Linux combination on CD-ROM offering
> >the 24/7 reliability unattainable with NT, it has effectively slammed shut.

> How many big relational databases were ported to OS/2, and what is
> your opinion of the future of OS/2?
OS/2 wasn't crushed by microsoft. OS/2 was crushed by IBM. If OS/2 was
open source, so that it couldn't be abandoned, it may well have had a
future. If OS/2's source was opened now, it might still stand a chance in
the workgroup-server arena, given the level of support it has amongst its
users. (Open source OS with a working version of Wine? I'd like to see
that :)

-Greg Mildenhall (usually an anti-0S/2 advocate :)