Re: 921Kbps on Linux: is it possible ?!?!

Matthew Hawkins (matt@mail.goldweb.com.au)
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 07:35:46 +1000

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, David Worthen wrote:

> There are several boards on the market now that support baud rates such as
> 921 kbps.
> However, for over a year, Connect Tech has been shipping boards that support
> 1382.4 kbps.
> >From our point of view, they really exist and they are really useful.
>
> Rather than play catch-up with the kernel, why not extend it into the future
> and go way beyond the 921 or 1382.4 kbps? If you are already modifying or
> expanding kernel structures, it is probably not that much more incremental
> work to go to a multiple of 921 and 1382.4 kbps.

Is it possible to, instead of having to add new numbers, use a multiplier
with the existing ones? It seems a tad ridiculous to have to add in
individual bps rates each time a faster chipset comes out. Extending it
into the future is just a hack that'll get us off the hook until that point
in the future when we'll have to extend it yet again.

--
Matt