sockfs (was: setting access rights to priviledged ports)

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
16 Oct 1998 17:31:36 -0400

> Linux has this with the ipfwadm transparent proxy capability (I assume
> that ipchains has similar support as well) the line is similar to the one
> below

> ipfwadm -I -a accept -r 10025 -p tcp -S 0.0.0.0/0 -D (youtIP)/32 25

> set sendmail to use port 10025 and you are done.

Yes, there are hundreds of ways to circumvent the `you have to be root to open
a priviledged port' problem. But this one (for instance) is not convincing
because it doesn't really say what I want: I want to restrict port 25 access
to user mail and no other.

The `sockfs' solution is pretty much exactly what I need and seems to be simple
enough: it generalizes the ad-hoc `(port > 1000 || uid == 0)' test.

You can indeed get the same kind of result in user-land by writing some kind of
setuid port-allocator, but most such `solutions' require hacking the deamon's
code.

So I re-ask the question: what was the incentive for not putting sockfs in the
standard kernel ? Bad code ? Bloat ? Lack of usefulness ?

Stefan