Re: 2.1.125 SMP fails production load test, quotas/epic trouble.

Simon Kirby (sim@netnation.com)
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:52:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Bill Hawes wrote:

> Simon Kirby wrote:
>
> > Right...but I was talking about changing the default of 256 in the
> > kernel. Would it be a good idea?
>
> Yes, the 256 value is much too low. But before we change it, I'd like to see the major
> users of quota run some experiments and recommend a new value.

We have one webserver here with approximately 1500 users -- right now,
/proc/sys/fs/dquot-nr shows:

384 324

(Only user quota is currently enabled.)

We do, however, have a mailserver with more than 7000 POP3 mailbox
accounts, and we plan to put a quota on them soon. I'll let you know how
that goes.

Simon-

| Simon Kirby | Systems Administration |
| mailto:sim@netnation.com | NetNation Communications |
| http://www.netnation.com/ | Tech: (604) 684-6892 |