Re: Problem with CDROM copying or VFAT.

Gordon Chaffee (chaffee@cs.berkeley.edu)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 05:40:00 -0700 (PDT)

Mike A. Harris writes:
> On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Gordon Chaffee wrote:
> > Mike A. Harris writes:
> >> I went to move the MSPub tree to a dir on ext2 drive, and it hung
> >> at a certain point every time I tried to move it.
> >
> >What do you mean by 'move'? A move across filesystems can't succeed.
> >Were you trying to tar it up and untar it in Linux and that was failing?
>
> Moves across filesystems do work. Let me illustrate:

> 1 root@red:~# mv serial.html /fat32/
> serial.html -> /fat32/serial.html

That is a single file move. Even that is a file copy if you look at
it from a filesystem perspective. The mv utility just copies the file
and then removes the old file. However, you said you went to move the
MSPub _tree_ from a fat32 partition to a ext2 partition. Directory trees
definitely cannot be moved--they need to be copied across filesystems.

> However, I was using Midnight commander to do the move at first,
> and it failed. I tried a few X filemanagers too and they failed
> at the same point, so I think it is an FAT32 driver bug.

How about showing an strace of the hang? When it hangs, is your machine
dead? The report so far isn't very useful for trying to track down a
problem. At what point did it hang? On some particular file? On
some particular directory? Can you create a very small tree (a subset
of MSPub) that still has this problem? Since you say the problem always
occurs in the same place, it would seem you might be able to. I might
try following the steps you took if I had MS Publisher 97, but I don't.

- Gordon