Re: [ME TOO] Re: Linux-2.1.125 ... pre-2.2 imminent - SCSI issues

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
15 Oct 1998 17:03:50 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.95.981014194927.568A-100000@localhost>,
Gerard Roudier <groudier@club-internet.fr> wrote:

>On 13 Oct 1998, david parsons wrote:

[the 1542 driver]
>> Why? The 1.2.13 driver seems to work just fine for me, and when I
>> UDIze it I'll be able to carry it from kernel release to kernel
>> release without fooling around with it.

>You can do the same using simple #ifdef(s) and so avoid any overhead and
>useless bloat.

No, ifdefs require (if the evidence of the past is any indication)
that I modify the driver every time a new major release comes out.
Plus I don't think that an UDIzed block driver will be any more
bloated than a native interface driver; I think that a large part
of the functionality may be doable for the cost of one additional
function call, and when we're talking about devices that run many
orders of magnitude slower than the processor this isn't anything
I will cry about.

____
david parsons \bi/ But I will cry if I can't shoehorn devfs into UDI.
\/