Re: APC, Your company is making a mistake!

Chris Johnson (cmj@inline-design.com)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 09:00:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Majdi Abbas wrote:

> Justin A. Kolodziej wrote:
> | As soon as you or anyone else can explain to me WHY he can still distribute
> | the binaries without source being made available, if in fact this is the case.
>
> The author can change the license the code is distributed under.

However can he retroactively change the license on copies of the code that
are already out there? The way I read and understand the GPL tells me no.
If someone else has a copy of the code they are free to send it anywhere
they want as often as they want for as long as they want and they can make
whatever changes they want as long as they publish the changes in source
form.

I'm not suggesting that he cannot change the license on code he has
written - just that versions previously released under the GPL cannot be
tied back up.

As an aside the source can already be found as an RPM on sunsite as
/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/contrib/hurricane/SRPMS/apcupsd-3.4.7-1.src.rpm

If someone else starts maintaining it is the original author off the hook
should APC choose to sue? Probably not - he did reverse engineer the
protocol - but I'm not a lawyer. :)

Chris