Re: 921Kbps on Linux: is it possible ?!?!

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 14:37:21 +0200 (MEST)

tytso@mit.edu wrote:
> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:55:30 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Linux Lists <lists@cyclades.com>
>
> I've noticed that in the linux/include/asm/termbits.h there is no
> definition for a baud rate of 921.6Kbps (it only goes up to 460.8Kbps).
> Therefore, it's not possible to use setserial to set a serial port to this
> speed ... is it ?!?!

> The definition of termbits is so that program can directly specify a
> speed using the POSIX standard interfaces. Yes, it's true that
> right now there isn't a termbits assignment for 921.6 kbps. Given
> that very few boards, and even fewer peripherals, actually support
> such a speed, I haven't bothered to add it. Note that if we do need
> to add it, both kernel support and libc support are required.

One poster already indicated that he has the need for such rates.

Remember "640k must be enough for everyone"?

Because changing the kernel and the libc interface takes so much time,
we need to define those interfaces as soon as possible.

That way the standard communications tools (minicom, seyon, stty) can
start to support the higher baudrates. When the hardware and drivers
catch up, the support to use it will already be there.

> Well, if you have a custom driver, you can use some other ways of
> setting this speed that is hardware specific. (Say, like a new ioctl.)
> But in order to do things right, yes, we'd have to extend the
> definitions in the termbits structgure.)

This way everybody will have an own ioctl and it will take ages for
the standard tools to catch up. It is best to define the interfaces as
soon as possible, to prevent the hassle later on.

Roger.

--
| Most people would die sooner than think....  |    R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| in fact, most do.  -- Bertrand Russsell      |     phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217