Re: UDI and Free Software

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
15 Oct 1998 10:03:10 +0200

"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso@MIT.EDU> writes:

> FSF does is legal paperwork. (And dealing with that is a real pain, let
> me tell you.... even if you want to donate code back to the FSF, the
> legal paperwork can be a real killer.)

The last time I looked, they wanted a different piece of paper for each
package, and each kind of contribution (documentation, patches, major
work).

Duh. As long as there's no statement that I can sign (preferably
electronically, but let's not be reasonable here :-/ ) which basically
states "I hereby assign to the FSF the copyright to everything at all which
I email to anybody at all with the explicidly stated intent for inclusion
in any work copyrighted by the FSF at all" there won't be a copyright
assignment from me, and therefore all I'm going to provide is patches which
are too small to warrant separate copyrights. Which rules out minor
feature enhancements.

... and I seriously doubt that I'm the only person who thinks that way.

NB: Well, I could dream up some legalese-sounding text which pretends to
say this, but what would be the point?

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.    |      http://www.noris.de/~smurf/