Re: ECONNREFUSED in recvfrom ?

Michael Riepe (michael@stud.uni-hannover.de)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:22:04 +0200

Hi!

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 04:04:50PM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Wouldn't you say this is a fundamental design flaw too:
>
> 1. send packet
> 2. sent unrelated packet (does it go out?), get error from packet one
> 3. send packet
> 4. quit
>
> (and obviously no errors on that last packet...)

That error(s) should be delivered when the socket is explicitly close()d
or shutdown()ed, but...

> Seriously, isn't that a truly horrid design? Unless (perhaps) Unix98
> says otherwise, to hell with such crap.

I totally agree with that. UDP is - by definition - an unreliable
transport medium. Sending back ICMP messages and reporting errors
to the application doesn't change that, but it may break existing
applications. To hell with it, even if RFC1122 (or whoever) says so.