Re: Spawning modprobe for AX25?!

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 09:23:51 +1300

On Tue, Oct 13, 1998 at 03:31:24PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:

> Surely it is best not to make the kernel vary according to the
> modules that are being compiled with itš. If we do, then we should
> change the configuration choices from {Yes,No,Module} to
> {Yes,Never,No,Module}.

Ideally yes... but lets leave that to 2.3.x - right now, in the case
of socket, there are other limits which under some circumstances stop
an arbitrary socket from being loaded (eg. N_PROTO)

I'd like to see the module interface more standardized in 2.3.x for
2.4.x so that someone may build a kernel with as few options as
possible and load modules more freely, not so tightly bound to the
kernel version (within limitations, eg. 2.0.29 -> 2.0.3x something
change much stuff, so in those cases, we have to accept things will
break).

-cw