Re: Open letter to the UDI folks?: Killing two birds with one stone

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:13:02 -0500

Tim Smith wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Jon 'maddog' Hall, USG Senior Leader wrote:
> > Sixth, both several months ago and recently I talked with people
> > from Intel about I2O, and while they have promised this before, at
> > least they are still saying that the specification will be made
> > public. Compaq's own engineers have told me that this is
> > the intent also.
>
> It's in the I2O charter that they intend to make it public.

Please forgive me but I think both Jon 'maddog' Hall and you
are reading more into the word "Public" than I2O Sig means.

There is a vast difference between saying
"the specification will be made public."
and
"the specification will be made publicly available."

Please refer the below as to why I say this.

Having gone over the I2O charter several times I quote the following
sections of that document.

<Begin Quote>

2. NAME AND PURPOSE
2.2 paragraph 2
The activities of the I2O SIG shall be conducted for the mutual
benefit of its Members and for the benefit of users, manufacturers,
suppliers and providers of computer servers and associated products.
The I2O SIG will make any resulting I2O Specification publicly
available on reasonable terms applied uniformly and openly. The I2O
SIG does not intend to promote specific implementations of the I2O
Specification or products based on such I2O Specification.

<End Quote>

Comments:
This subsection's second paragraph clearly states that
"The I2O Sig will make any resulting I2O Specification publicly
available on reasonable terms applied uniformly and openly."

The important words in this single sentence are "reasonable terms".

We need to look further into the document to understand under what
circumstances an I2O Specification may be released and what
those "reasonable terms" may be.

Section 4 subsection 4.1 item c. gives the first indication under
what conditions an I2O Specification may be released publicly.

<Begin Quote>

4. STEERING COMMITTEE
4.1 Steering Committee Responsibilities.

The responsibilities of the Steering Committee shall include:

c. approving the I2O Specification or drafts thereof for limited or
public release, and submitting such action for approval to the
Contributing Membership;

<End Quote>

Comments: We need to remember which companies make up the Standing
Steering Committee:

<Begin Quote>
4.2 Steering Committee Members
a. The Steering Committee shall consist of eight (8) Members who
are I2O SIG Contributing Members in good-standing, as follows:

One representative from each of the following five (5) companies (the
"Standing Members," listed in alphabetical order):
Hewlett-Packard Company
Intel Corporation
Microsoft Corporation
NetFRAME Systems Incorporated
NOVELL, Inc.

PLUS one representative from each of three (3) other Contributing
Members elected by the I2O SIG Contributing Members.

<End Quote>

Comments: Having refreshed memories concerning who the Standing
Steering Committee members are, we need to look further into the
document for further understanding.

<Begin Quote>
9. DEFINITION AND PUBLICATION OF I2O SPECIFICATION
9.2 Publication of the I2O Specification.
a. Upon the adoption of the I2O Specification Version 1.0 as set forth
above, the I2O Specification will be made available for public use
through the use of a reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing
arrangement as established by the Steering Committee.
<End Quote>

Comments: Here we have a further indication as to which I20
Specification Version would be made available for public use,
albeit through the use of a "reasonable and non-discriminatory
licensing arrangement as established by the Steering Committee".

Given that I2O Specification Version 1.0 was approved in March 1996
and it now Oct 1998, it would appear that I2O Specification Version 1.0
will not be forth coming.

However, there appears to be a caveat concerning the I2O Specification
being made available for public use.

<Begin Quote>

9. DEFINITION AND PUBLICATION OF I2O SPECIFICATION
9.2 Publication of the I2O Specification.
b. Unless otherwise approved for publication by the Steering Committee
and the Contributing Membership, all drafts and revisions of the I2O
Specification shall be used solely for internal purposes of the I2O
SIG.

c. From time to time, one or more of the drafts or revisions of the
proposed I2O Specification may be made publicly available for
comment, only if first agreed by the Steering Committee and
submitted for approval by the Contributing Membership. A vote of at
least 75% of the Contributing Members is required for the public
release of any draft or revision of the I2O Specification.

<End Quote>

Comment: First the Steering Committee must approve/agree.
Contribution Membership must approve, specifically
75% of the Contributing Membership must vote.

There are 67 Contributing Members and 73 Associate
Members according to the I2O Sig Web Site.
Approximately 51 Contributing members must vote.

There are still further caveats to be understood.

<Begin Quote>

11.5 I2O SIG Information. All public disclosures regarding the
existence, membership and activities of the I2O SIG must be approved
by the Steering Committee. Public disclosure of any version of the I2O
Specification shall be subject to the approval by the Steering
Committee pursuant to terms of this Agreement. However, the I2O SIG's
general policy shall be to disclose fully, at the agreed-upon time, all
information relating to the I2O SIG and its activities. If a Member
shall be required to disclose any information relating to the I2O SIG
pursuant to a valid order of a court or other government body or any
political subdivision thereof, the Member shall first give notice to
the Steering Committee and make a reasonable effort to obtain a
protective order requiring that any such information so disclosed be
used only for the purposes for which the order was issued.

<End Quote>

Comments: Note this part does not cover the I2O Specification
this part covers information concerning I2O Sig and it's activities.

Lastly we have the length of the I2O charter.

<Begin Quote>

12. TERM AND TERMINATION
12.1 Term. Unless otherwise terminated, this Agreement shall remain
in full force and effect for five (5) years. After the initial 5-year
term, the Steering Committee may propose to extend the term of this
Agreement to the Contributing Membership. The Contributing Membership
may approve such proposal to extend the term of this Agreement by an
affirmative vote.

<End Quote>

Comments: Given that the I2O Initiative Agreement on the I2O Web Site
is Version 13 October 95 and that other references state that I20 Sig
was formed in January 1996 the "charter" would expire sometime on
either Oct 13, 2000 or in January 2001.

Bottomline:

In reading the I2O Charter there is nothing that states that the
I2O Specification would be made "public" on the contrary there
are clear statements that the I2O Specification would be made
available publicly under "reasonable terms" and
"reasonable and non-discriminatory licensing arrangement as
established by the Steering Committee".

Given these clear statements, both Intel's and Compaq's statements
are meaningless.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels by the light of my computer screen 24-7 you wait for me entertaining angels while the night becomes history host of heaven, sing over me ==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys