Re: console corruption in 2.1.125 after exiting X

Jim Partan (partan@mit.edu)
Sun, 11 Oct 1998 17:45:39 EDT

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998 22:26:39 +0200, mj@ucw.cz wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> I've just upgraded from 2.0.35 to 2.1.125 today, and everything
>> seems fine, aside from the console becoming corrupted when I exit
>> from X (the console is not reset with /usr/bin/reset).
>
> What exactly appears on the screen?

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for your reply.

The problem is fixed by using setfont to restore the default 8x16
VGA font. I guess the problem is that when the X server exits, the
VGA character generator is corrupted somehow, and it is NOT a kernel
problem (also happens with 2.0.x). Sorry for not investigating the
problem more fully myself; I hope I haven't wasted too many people's
time. (The chipset is Avance Logic 2228, XFree86-SVGA-3.2.2 server,
almost all characters become '@' after exiting X.)

Thanks to Andrzej Krzysztofowicz for solving this for me.

thanks again,

Jim