Re: AHA1542 and SCSI tape (HP 35480A) again

Kai M{kisara (makisara@metla.fi)
Sat, 10 Oct 1998 13:52:13 +0300 (EET DST)

This is a SCSI question and should be on the linux-scsi list.

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Apart from the already known not working aha1542 reset/abort code, I
> encountered a new, strange one today:
>
> while playing a little with mt, mtst and dump-0.3 on my HP 35480A
> (attached to my AHA1542CF), I got these:
>
> Oct 9 22:01:43 emma1 kernel: Wrong buffer length supplied for request sense (256)
This comes from the following code in aha1542.c

if(*cmd == REQUEST_SENSE){
#ifndef DEBUG
if (bufflen != sizeof(SCpnt->sense_buffer)) {
printk("Wrong buffer length supplied for request sense
(%d)\n",bufflen);
};
#endif

The SCSI tape driver does not send any REQUEST SENSE command. It is used
by the error processing in the middle level SCSI driver. So, this is not a
problem specific to SCSI tapes. An easy and safe fix might be to change
the test from != to < (this should catch any buffer overflow).

Kai