Re: [OT] RE: UDI and Free Software (fwd)

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Thu, 08 Oct 1998 14:26:25 -0500

Marcin Dalecki wrote:

> In my personal oppinion the UDI driver stuff is a
>
> *VERY GOOD THING*
>
> Howerver the reasoning which led me to this conclusion may suprise some of
> You:
>
> Just imagine how EASY it would be to REENGINE a UDI driver written by a
> sucking vendor, which continuisly defeats sourcecode/docs realese!!!!!!!!
> It would be almost like having the most accurate doc's there in front of
> yours face!

Instead of spending energy "reverse engineering" a binary-only UDI
driver
it would wiser to spend that energy educating vendors to the benefits
of releasing hardware documentation so that the Freeware/OpenSource/GNU
GPL
communities are able to write the drivers.

Ultimately each and every user/developer/advocate of
Freeware/OpenSource/GNU GPL
software has the right to vote with their money. Those vendors which
understand the benefits of releasing the specifications will be
"rewarded"
with sales, those which do not understand the benefits of releasing the
specifications will be listed as unsupported hardware due to lack of
vendor
cooperation.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

entertaining angels by the light of my computer screen 24-7 you wait for me entertaining angels while the night becomes history host of heaven, sing over me ==Entertaining Angels==Newsboys