Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (resent after bounce

Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Sun, 04 Oct 1998 16:32:25 -0700

Feuer wrote:

> Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> > In the longterm for reiserfs I want to implement dynamic stat data
> > with arbitrary fields and arbitrary lengths to them. I also want the
> > nterface to them to be via /, as in /etc/lilo.conf/modtime.
> > I want stat data to be inheritable from the parent, so that I can
> > break passwd into lots of little files, and then I can reference
> > /etc/passwd/reiser/shell/modtime, and get the time that reiser
> > modified his shell to be /usr/bin/fortune.
> >
> > Hans
>
> This sounds very nice. I'm guessing you could design this so it could be used in an object-oriented way. Ah! I got it (I think). You can have classes of files. These classes will have certain "subfiles". So a might have
> balloon.gif/colordepth
> or
> john.doc/language.
>
> But the cool thing would be
> joe.txt/search,
> where search is a member function of the textfile class. Here of course is the trouble. How do you get multiuser capability? Grumble.
>
> David Feuer
>

> -

I am sorry, I misread what you said, if methods are attached to files, then yes, I envision being able to inherit them. I do think the filesystem should someday inherit methods also.

Hans