Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (resent after bounce

Hans Reiser (reiser@idiom.com)
Sun, 04 Oct 1998 16:18:54 -0700

Feuer wrote:

> Hans Reiser wrote:
>
> > In the longterm for reiserfs I want to implement dynamic stat data
> > with arbitrary fields and arbitrary lengths to them. I also want the
> > nterface to them to be via /, as in /etc/lilo.conf/modtime.
> > I want stat data to be inheritable from the parent, so that I can
> > break passwd into lots of little files, and then I can reference
> > /etc/passwd/reiser/shell/modtime, and get the time that reiser
> > modified his shell to be /usr/bin/fortune.
> >
> > Hans
>
> This sounds very nice. I'm guessing you could design this so it could be used in an object-oriented way. Ah! I got it (I think). You can have classes of files. These classes will have certain "subfiles". So a might have
> balloon.gif/colordepth
> or
> john.doc/language.
>
> But the cool thing would be
> joe.txt/search,
> where search is a member function of the textfile class. Here of course is the trouble. How do you get multiuser capability? Grumble.
>
> David Feuer

I can see how it was not clear what I meant. I don't mean type inheritance, I mean that you can specify an attribute parent, and when one wants to know what the value of any attribute not present in the object is, one looks at the parent. Thus,
if /etc/passwd/reiser/shell has no owner subfile, and it has an inheritance attribute with a pointer to /etc/passwd (could point to any file), when one accesses /etc/passwd/reiser/shell/owner, one gets the value of /etc/passwd/owner.
There are many variations on this that I don't want to get into the relative merits of until I am ready to code (not this year).

Hans